Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Blondies: A Truly Healthy Treat!
If you need a great, easy and delicious recipe that will satisfy your sweet tooth while also providing plenty of health benefits, this week’s featured recipe is just for you![Note …. One thing you will never hear from us is to deprive yourself completely of things you love. What we do encourage is that you try as much as possible to find healthy versions or healthier ways of enjoying some of those things when possible!]
I came across this recipe through my Secret Recipe Club which I participate in monthly for my food blog. I love it because it gives me an opportunity to check out other great food blogs and discover delicious recipes like this one at the same time …. win-win.
I could not have been more pleasantly surprised by this one, either, when I took my first taste test bite. You see, I had lowered my expectations of these blondies when I read the base ingredient was garbanzo beans. As much as I love healthy … taste ranks up there, too, for me. And I couldn’t see how garbanzo beans in blondies could taste very good.
But I’ve always had this weakness for chocolate peanut butter. Then a few years ago, I discovered dark chocolate, and realized why milk chocolate alone never “did it” for me! Not only did I love how it tasted so much more … it also has health benefits.
So I decided to give these a fair shake. And boy, am I glad I did! And in fact, when I told my husband after tasting them that I was really surprised that I couldn’t taste the garbanzo beans in them, he noted that garbanzo beans actually do not have that much flavor and that’s why they work so well in these blondies. He’s right! Give them a try for yourself and let us know what you think!
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup organic peanut butter [or other nut butter]
- ⅓ cup honey [or pure maple syrup or agave nectar for vegan option]
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 3.5 oz organic dark chocolate bar, chopped or broken into chunks OR ⅓ cup plus 2 tbsp chocolate chips [regular or vegan]
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8×8 inch baking pan with cooking spray or use shortening or oil to grease it and line it with parchment paper.
- Blend all the ingredients except the chocolate in food processor or blender until smooth. Spread this batter evenly over the parchment paper in the pan. Press the chocolate chunks into the batter.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean AND edges are just beginning to brown.
- Allow to cool in the pan for at least 20 minutes. Slice into bars. Keep refrigerated.